our babies

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

joel - the first year

Sunday, July 15, 2007

the big move, and a lost dog...and God's grace

Warning: Damn long story (only for those with heart)

My family shifted from Simei to Pasir Ris barely 2 days ago (on Friday), and the turn of events afterwards was totally unexpected...

On the 1st night, I had the chance to sleep with Terry again in my new room too. He was very obedient until 6+am (coz he sometimes wanna go in/out of the room a few times in the night). As always, we wouldnt know if it was to pee or what... But it always makes us very pissed. Haha... ;/

Anyway, back to the move, we realised on the 1st day that the grills at the main door was too wide, and Terry could squeeze through it. We wanted to go buy something to block it to keep him safe. BUT, we were too late. =(

On the 2nd day, my sisters went back to the old house TWICE to pick up some of the remaining stuff. The 1st time they came back, Terry barked at them as usual (his usual 'Welcome Home'). But the 2nd time, they realised he was not around. It was only then that we realised he had gone out of the house!

Prior to that, I wanted to take a nap in Sandra's room and my 2 nephews were playing games on her computer. At 1st, I had Terry leashed to the window coz I was afraid that he'll roam around as the other adults were busy unpacking downstairs. Then, he started to bark and I asked Xan to close the room door, so that I can release him. I remembered vividly that the 1st time my sisters came back (from Simei), I heard my mom said that she had blocked the gate. So, we opened the room door.

BUT, when they came back the 2nd time, who whould have known that Terry had already left the house!!! I jumped up from bed immediately and saw the gate was not blocked at all!!! We quickly went searching for Terry in the area, but realised it was TOO HUGE and so-very-open!!! White Sands was just across, and there's also the MRT, a fishing pond, and a park!!! It was about 2.30pm. By early evening, we were armed with flyers which Xan & Xavier helped to print from their house. It even showed Terry's photo, and a reward. On the other hand, Sandra & i - the helpless ones - only had hand-written notes. I wanted to find Terry asap before night falls.

Everyone in the family helped to search for Terry and put up the posters at the neighbouring blocks, fishing pond/park and bus-stops. We also tried to call out Terry's name so that IF someone had brought him home, Terry might have heard our shouts and responded by barking (Sandra & i can recognize his barking). My little nephew Xavier who was usually afraid of Terry (and called him Terry-yaki) suddenly told me that he kinda missed Terry...I was touched. I left a message at SPCA that my dog was missing, and hoped that they'll contact me soon (tomorrow). But there was only so much we could do on Sat night. We went home with a heavy heart. I was sure it was impossible to see him again. I read some articles online about missing dogs, and i left his dog bowl & water at the doorstep (hoping that he could smell it and lead him home). Elvis comforted me and was sorry he couldnt be here with me. He tried to make me more hopeful, but i was so pessimistic i knew it was 'the end'. I cried my heart out that night.

On Sun, I was hesitating if i should go to church with my family least Terry should find his way home in the morning. Then i thought that maybe i should just leave it to God, and maybe (who knows), by the time we're back from church, Terry would be sitting at our doorstep! At the service, whenever i thought of Terry, i just sob helplessly. It was just impossible to see him again.

Then in the afternoon, we got a call from someone who said that he found Terry roaming nearby on Sat afternoon (but) brought it to his friend's house to bathe and feed him. Then they left him at the blocks again. We were somewhat "angry" becoz we had the posters well-covered in "our area", but he had left Terry in "another area". This would mean all our efforts the previous day was useless! Anyway, we rushed to those blocks where he had left Terry and shouted our lungs out. My nephews Xan & Xavier also went home to print more posters, then helped us in the search. I realised that there was a connector in that area, a bridge and a highway...so if Terry had gone either way, it'll be totally hopeless. The teenagers (who left him there) also told us that they would help to look for Terry. What bugged me was also coz they said that when they brought Terry home, he didnt have his collar on him anymore.

As we were about to give up and go for dinner, we got another call saying that Terry was spotted in "our area" 30 mins ago, and we went to search for him again. By evening, we somewhat gave up hope again and went to my sister's house for dinner. As we sat down eating (seemingly happily), everyone knew we've done all we could (to no avail) and it was all left to God now.

As we ate, we got a few SMS/calls from some people that Terry was spotted on Sat at some blocks (which we had already covered). Finally, 1 guy called and said that he had brought Terry to the SPCA on Sat evening! His description matched our only-2-teeth & cataract Terry! We were so relieved that Terry didnt have to roam the streets and learn to fend for himself in the dark and cold. He was safe and under shelter both nights. WOW! It was so amazing!

It must have been God's grace that brought Terry home.
Thank You, Almighty Father.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, sad to hear it, so did your guys find Terry?


sasalito