our babies

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

joel - the first year

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

belgium

Elvis is heading to Belgium in August. It could be for 3 weeks and he wanted us to join him. He might have 1 week of free time. Right from the start, i wasnt too keen on the idea of tagging along. And we dont even know which part of Belgium yet. I've been to Brussels when i was 18, but i cant seem to remember anything about the place besides chocolates. I think maybe i worry too much...
- Firstly, $$$$$. Airfares out of China can be really ridiculous. Going for this would mean no holiday in Oct and till the end of 2008.
- I cannot imagine looking after Joel alone for 12-hours onboard. (And Elvis in Biz Class)
- It would be tough managing Joel alone while Elvis is at work. (Our trip to Hangzhou only confirmed that it isnt easy at all with a baby. Sooo many things to consider.)
- Having to carry Joel & the diaper bag for long hours everyday. My shoulders already ached like mad from last week. (Approx 10+kg)
- Having to bring milk/water/diapers/change of clothes...so troublesome, not to mention extremely heavy.
- Having to bathe Joel in an "unfamiliar environment". (Do i need to bring his tub? It wont fit into any of our suitcases!)
- I have absolutely NO sense of direction - anywhere.
- Shopping for clothes with Joel is a no-no. Cannot try when i cant remove the baby carrier. I can only estimate the fit.
- If bring stroller along, i cannot manage long flights of stairs alone. Steps is ok. Folding it away is also a task now that he's bigger.
- AND, what is there in Belgium besides chocolates???


So, i just googled 'What is fun in Belgium'...and here's the results:
- Smurfs, Tintin, Snowy and Marsupilami (Okay, I used to like Smurfs. I kinda like TinTin too. What is Snowy & Marsupilami?)
- English, the 4th unofficial language (Great!)
- romantic cruise down a canal in Bruges (Cruise? I need sea-sick pills)
- hunt for diamonds in Antwerp (Wah! I'm not tai-tai leh)
- enjoy waffles on the beach in Oostende (Good!)
- frolic in a festival in Binche (I dont like festivals)
- get lost in a castle in Namur (I dont like castles coz they're eerie)
- discover antiques at an outdoor market in Liege (I dont want antiques)
- explore a fine art museum in Brussels (I wont enjoy museums alone)
- dense train network connects all of Belgium and makes navigation simple and comfortable for travelers (At least transportation is A-ok and affordable, but dont give me a confusing metro line)
- superb examples of art and architecture past and present - Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque, and Art Nouveau (Okay, i do like European architectures)
- beer & chocolate (BINGO! CHOCOLATES!!!)
- Diane von Furstenberg (Lovely dresses!)

I havent made up my mind yet...coz I can (and still) only think of the chocolates. Haha!

No comments: