our babies

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

joel - the first year

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

my two cents worth

Recently, someone googled about the baby swing we bought for Joel and asked me to tell him if it's good. Coz he's thinking of buying the swing OR the sarong cradle with spring for his soon-to-be-born baby girl (to rock her to sleep). He asked me how I make my baby sleep (since i dont use the swing). So we exchanged a couple of emails...and he asked me to post my "valuable experience" in my blog! HAHA! So here's one of it:

...Actually, I think u REALLY need to cultivate the "sleeping mode" from very young. For my baby, I will carry him (cradle style, on my left coz of the heartbeat thingie) & pat his buttocks/back with the pacificer when he looks somewhat sleepy...and within 5-10 mins, he will fall asleep. Then I will slowly remove the pacificer & put him in his bed. If he wakes up, I will continue patting his back/buttocks/thighs (when he's lying down) till he falls into deep sleep. If he cries, then no choice...need to start from square one.

I will also try to sit on a chair instead of standing+rocking. The latter is my mother-in-law's style which I REALLY HATE! It makes my baby super cranky for at least the next few days, and I have no way to pacify him. So, it makes me go crazy too. I only stand & rock him when I absolutely need to (i.e. when he's very cranky and crying like mad).

Lately, he doesnt like the cradle-carry anymore, so I pat him when he leans on my shoulders (without the pacificer coz he's not good at sucking it) and he falls asleep rather easily too. Maybe anything from 5-20 mins. And I'm a very happy mommy if it's just under 10mins! Haha!

My mother-in-law has 4 other grandchildren and ALL are made to sleep in the ROCK-LIKE-MAD style or push-forward-n-backwards-nonstop-in-pram (for the latest niece). I guess it's similar to the swing action for the highchair. But theirs is a lot more vigorous. Seems like the niece can only be made to sleep in this manner. She also sleeps in the pram the whole day (except at night). So maybe she's too used to the pram by now. One thing I feel not good about that is she always like to tilt her head (inside the pram), and they said that her scalp has become kinda "slanted". I think maybe u have to flip the baby sideways & switch sides when u make him lie flat lor. My baby slept on his back during the 1st month, and his head is already a bit flat at the back. (My friends say that for this, u'll need to massage his head when he's a bit bigger - to make it round again)

My baby always sleeps on his stomach (which my sister recommended) coz he's easily frightened in his sleep. The confinement nanny gave her approval too. Both my nephews (now 10 & 11yrs old) slept like that when they were babies, so I guess it should be fine. U can try this method if facing up doesnt work for your baby. My husband & I think it's better. But I know some people who oppose it (coz of SIDS). http://www.emedicinehealth.com/sudden_infant_death_syndrome_sids/article_em.htm

I hope sharing my short 3-months experience helps.


AND...this VERY hands-on dad has decided not to buy the baby swing or sarong cradle. He's going to try my method of making his baby fall asleep herself w/o any rocking/swinging. Kekee... (I'm so proud of myself!!! LOL) Also, a handbook he got from KK also changed his mind. Here's his quote from the book:
"It is best to put baby to bed when they are sleepy, but not asleep. This way, they are more likely to fall asleep quickly and will eventually learn to soothe themselves to sleep. Those who have become accustomed to parental assistance at bedtime, eg. rocking or nursing to sleep, will often become 'signalers' and cry whenever they spontaneously wake up at night."


No comments: