our babies

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

joel - the first year

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

new water

This is a new thing in our house! Haha... It may seem a little funny to have a water dispenser at home, but it's actually quite common here in China. Becoz of the hard water.

Our kitchen sink has another smaller tap which is filtered water. You can drink the filtered water directly or boil it if you wish. Although i did have some concerns about the (possible) mineral content, we still continued using the filtered water after Joel came here. Recently, we decided to buy water instead. Besides for obvious reasons that it's cleaner, i felt that our hot water turns cold very fast now that we're into the coldest period of winter.

Sunday, we finally went to the supermarket opposite to lug this big dispenser home! THANKS TO JOEL'S CHEAP & GOOD STROLLER! ;) I had wanted to get a smaller & shorter model (half of this) which i could carry home on my own...but so confused by the different models...i decided to go with Elvis again over the weekends. Fortunately, he went with me coz i really dont know what the Aunty was saying - "zhi re" & "zhi len". Apparently ALL models (tall/short) can "make" hot water BUT not all models can "make" ice-cold water! (NO "zhi len" = only the normal temperature of the water) Headache! Since there wasnt enough space (or rather height) on our kitchen countertop, we'll need to get a stool if we bought the short model. So...we chose this tall model which can make hot & ice-cold water.

There's also a "xiao du gui" compartment at the bottom. It's meant for disinfecting small items. (The people here are also very into disinfecting. Some people have a "disinfecting drawer" built-into their kitchen cabinets.)

I've finally ordered this Nestle water which costs only ¥18. It's delivered to your door when you call the management office to order. Not bad! ;)

5 comments:

KIKILALA said...

Wow!! Zhi Re, Zhi Len, Xiao Du Gui... So confusing indeed... Lucky you decided to wait for Elvis.

Its cool though!! Instant cold and hot water!! I like!! I want!! Hehe!!

Jo said...

Yea...just like in office huh! So instant! ;)

Late night supper Milo/cup-noodles also dont need to boil water now!

Jess said...

When we were in Doha, we were using this too. Similar to China, it's hard water in Doha and I don't trust their "filter system". :p I used to call them and have them delivered 2 big bottles for me (backup... so kiasu :p). It's cheap and convenient... and pretty handy when you need hot water NOW! :p

Jo said...

Yes, INSTANT is great! I dont have enough space to store an extra bottle. Anyway, they deliver the day itself if i call before 5pm...so it's alright I guess.

BTW, Do you turn on the dispenser the whole day? I'm thinking I should just on the "hot" one since the water is already very cold.

Jess said...

Yeah, I had it on the whole day. Doha is hot most of the days (like 9 months in a year?), so I need my cold drinks. But hot water comes in handy...