our babies

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

joel - the first year

Sunday, April 5, 2009

chinese snacks

Chinese always have some kind of "special food" for a special occasion. On QingMing Festival, they will eat "qing tuan" 青团. I have never eaten or seen this snack before in Singapore. I imagine it taste like "tang yuan". It comes in many different kinds of fillings too eg. red bean paste.
(If you can read Chinese, it might be interesting to find out how this snack came about)

I see it everywhere here but i did not buy any to try. Somehow, i think it's the artificial colour that puts me off. It's the Incredible Hulk kind of green-green.

Picture taken from the link above.
I saw on TV that some people even queue many hours to buy it at some famous snack shop at Nanjing West Road.

BUT I LOVE the "bao" from this place! It was only ¥1/S$0.20 each in 2006 when i learnt knitting. It had vegetable & "chai po" inside. Just thinking of it makes me drool. I used to go there quite often until the Aunty knows i'm there #1 for the veggy bao 素菜包 ¥1, if sold out, then i'll go for #2 crab meat bao ¥10 rather unwillingly coz it's not as yummy as veggy bao! She probably recognized me coz i was definitely the most civilized person there. EVERYONE else was cutting queue and raising their voices to get their orders across! Haha! The price is also unbelievable coz that is a "high-class district" near Plaza 66!!! It is also near the famous local food street WuJiang Road - which i heard will be closed soon coz of the Expo2010 (probably concerns about the hygiene of the food). Sometimes when i'm tired with my knitting, i will call it a day and walk there to buy some local snacks before heading home. (Some days if it's early and not freezing, i will walk 15-20mins down to JingAn area/Sogo to shop and look at some stuffs) O ya, the gyoza at WuJiang Road is also the best! And only ¥2-3 for 4pcs then. It was during winter, so i always feel very 幸褔 holding the hot snacks in my hands. I last ate the gyoza when Clara was here for a holiday in July 2007 (summer). It doesnt taste so nice somehow... Hmm...

This evening, we were in that area again for dinner with Elvis' ex-team as Susie is back for holidays (she's gone to work in Singapore). When we left, i couldnt resist buying the famous Lilian Egg Tarts - the most delicious Portuguese egg tart in Shanghai! Now ¥3.50 each. (I think it used to be ¥2.80) I just ate one before i typed this. 幸褔! Elvis also "dabao" for his team since he went back to continue working. Poor thing...but i hope they feel 幸褔 too! They have a good boss who slogs with them. Haha!

4 comments:

hipo mama said...

the green thg looks abit weird hor....really look like for those in the netherworld to eat...but i will still hv a go to try it since its in my favourite colour green..haha..

one little journey said...

i want some lilian egg tarts NOW!!!

Jo said...

Hipo Mama,
Hahaha... It never crossed my mind that the "qing tuan" looks like dead people food. I think i would try it if it's a darker shade of green...like olive green or like green tea green. It will kinda look like a green tea mochi then. ;)


Alynn,
Yeah, Lilian is indeed the BEST! So soft and creamy that it's quite disgusting if i show the inside (after i bite). So it's only the bag! Haha! This outlet i went is a big shop that sells bread too. I think i've never tried their bread though.

KIKILALA said...

The green thing looks like those muah chee?? :o(

Hmmm your description of the bao made me wanna drool too... Yummmmm...