our babies

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

joel - the first year

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

happy first birthday

To our dearest Baby Joel,

This day a year ago on 24 Dec 2007, we were excited and scared as we prepared to meet you. So many thoughts went through our minds as Mommy was pushed into the operating theater. Mommy's heart was beating so quickly and i kept shivering. I was thinking, "This is it! 39 weeks of waiting." There was no looking back.

I wondered the night before how you would look. I had prayed to God so many times for you to have beautiful eyes, beautiful nose and a beautiful mouth. Seconds after they pulled you out from my tummy, i heard Faye (the assisting nurse) say, "He's very cute! Jo, he's very cute!". When they placed you on my chest, wrapped in a towel, all i could see was how small you were and you were beautiful! I turned to look at Daddy and he was crying too. You were just beautiful!
(When reality sets in, i saw my small eyes, daddy's big nose and thick lips! Keke!)

We named you 'Joel' which has the first 2 alphabets in our names - Josephine & Elvis. Joel also meant God is Willing. God is willing to bless you with the fatness of the earth. (This is what Aunty Yen Yen always say)

The few months that followed wasnt easy for the both of us. I had to adjust to your fiery temper, and you to mine. You do take after me after all! Haha! I kept feeling that i was so alone in everything - having to go through almost the whole pregnancy alone, having to prepare for you alone, having to look after you alone. When i couldnt take any more stress (from anyone), my temper was really bad. I'm sorry i beat your buttocks when you're so innocent and so small. You were just crying becoz you were uncomfortable somewhere i didnt know. You've done no wrong. I'm so sorry. I couldnt wait for you to grow bigger so we can join Daddy in our home in Shanghai. In my mind, i pictured that would be a new life for us. A happy life.

Indeed, we tried to do fun things with you every week for the past 8 months. Maybe it was more fun for us than it was for you. But most importantly, we were together. As a family.

Everywhere we went, people say you were an obedient baby. As i'm typing this, you're busy licking and biting the zip on your sweater, and i kept saying to you, "Baby Joel, NO! Mommy say NO!" But you're still cute and beautiful. You must be sick of me telling you this by now. Haha!

Soon you wont be a 'baby' anymore. You'll become a little monster. A cute monster in our lives which we still absolutely adore and cant live without.

We loved you from the day we met you. Happy First Birthday, Baby Joel!

Lots of love, hugs & kisses,
Mommy Jo & Daddy Elvis

Joel at birth: 2.655kg, 49cm
Joel at 1 year: 10.5kg, 73cm

12 comments:

Jess said...

Happy Birthday Joel!! Have a great celebration with mommy and daddy ya...

And to mommy, enjoy your well deserved break in BKK!!! Shop, shop, SHOP!!! Have a safe and fun trip! :)

KIKILALA said...

I still remember the day we went to the hospital to see you. Your mummy was so nervous she did not dare to pick you up. Of course useless Auntie Stella - which is me - did not dare as well!! Only your daddy and Aunt Gwen was brave enough. Den we had to go and buy cream for your butt coz there were some rashes.

So fast time passed, you are already one!! And your mummy has become a super mom who's able to do all the mom stuff!! You are indeed very very cute!! We just wanna pinch and bite you!! Come back soon so our wishes will come true.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BB JOEL!!

Jo said...

Aunty FoongYen & Aunty Stella,

Thanks for being here, still! ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday cute cute baby Joel, have fun at Bangkok



elin ong

Anne said...

Mommy Jo, u had wrote a very-very touch and honest love letter!! i'm sure someday when joel able to read it all, he'll bruised in tears and loving u even more! Happy birthday Joel.. be a good boy and make ur parents proud of u! Auntie Anne and Little Bryan ;)

Anonymous said...

happy birthday joel! *double pinch* on the cheeks :-D

Jo said...

Anne,

Yes, I changed my mind after all and wrote him a letter - like all of you Mommies! HAHA!

Just thought that since his 1st bday is spent without any big celebration, I should at least write him something to commemorate this day. ;)

Jo said...

Thanks Aunty Elin

Thanks Aunty Alynn
(pinch & scratch you back)

astrid said...

Joel! Happy Birthday! ;) You look gorgeous! You look so yummy i feel like pinching your cheeks! ;) You're one handsome cute little boy!

Jo, congrats! It's been a long one year for you, i'm sure. But i'm also sure it's been one exciting journey that you cherish. Take care and hope to see you in Spore soon.

Anonymous said...

hi Jo, yes I'm from Singapore and a 1st time mummy too =) Gave birth to a baby boy in Sep.
Yes, I love reading what you write! I think it's funnie and most importantly, I totally identify with what you are going thru or went thru. :)

Your letter to Joel brought tears to my eyes again!!! I remembered when I read about Joel's birth and saw his pictures (read your older posts), for some reasons, my tears just flowed and flowed. I was touched by how beautiful he is and how you finally got to see the little one. But when I delivered, I didnt cry at all! haha - wendy

Sharon said...

Hi Jo,

Congrats and you did it all by yourself in a foreign country. Happy belated birthday to Joel too!

Jo said...

Hi Wendy,
It's nice to finally put a name to a face. You're a hot mama with a really handsome boy! Thanks for being here all this while! God bless!


Thanks, Sharon! Yes, i'm quite proud of myself too! Plus i'm pretty glad i'm not in Spore most of the time! U should know why lah. Haha! Let us know if you're expecting a boy/girl so we can start planning...i.e. buy gifts NOT plan for baby. Keke... Claudia will make a great big sister! ;)